Monday, June 22, 2009

Showering in God's Grace

Only in America do kids get excited when their is no water. A few weeks ago there was an announcement over the loud speaker at North East Intermediate school where I worked. The principal announced that students would be getting out at noon due to a water main break. As you can imagine all the students began to cheer. (I did too b/c that meant a short day for me)
I was thinking as a I got into my Oldsmobile that even in Scranton with all its decline and bankruptcy and unemployment there is still no shortage of clean water. Mandi and I have tap water, others have purified water, we also buy bottled water. Americans buy water softener b/c our water is too hard. (still confused as to what that means) It is not a big deal to kids that they have no water at school b/c they can go home and get it from several different places in their home.
I take a shower everyday (sometimes twice) using gallons of HOT water, and I don't even think about or offer thanks for it.
People around the world are drinking water that cows swim in. They are walking miles to go get it. And I complain b/c the water from the tap taste bad. ( I don't say that to guilt us for having clean water, but to help us be aware) What a blessing that I have so much clean water accessible to me. When I drink, wash my hands, or boil water for pasta I am experiencing God's grace. I used to think of my shower as part of my daily routine, and most of the time I still do, but some days I realize that I am taking a shower in God's Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment